Who are Always Riding?
We are a Limited Company, privately owned and run and based in the United Kingdom. Our main business is the sourcing, curating and retailing of premium brands in the cycle sector. We specialise in bikes, clothing and accessories. We have a real passion for cycling as well, so we try and bring our customers the most interesting stories and experiences from around the cycling world. We do that through various means such as our blog, our social media channels and regular emails and other forms of communication which we send to those who have subscribed to receive them.
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons permitting a company such as Always Riding to collect and process your personal data. These include:
If you sign up to receive our email newsletters and communications for example, then that is you giving us your consent to process your contact details for this purpose. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us.
If you order something from us we will need to process your data to provide you with that product. If you have asked for the product to be delivered by courier, then we will need to pass your name and contact details to that courier. We have contractual arrangements in place to ensure that they only use your data for that purpose alone. If you create an account with us then we will use your data to provide you with the services you have signed up for as an account holder.
In certain circumstances we need to use your data in order to run our business. As a business we believe that we have a legitimate interest in doing this but that it does not significantly impact your rights or interests. A good example might be when we combine the shopping history of a large group of our customers to identify trends which we then use to make sure we are offering all our customers the right products and best possible services.
Sometimes, we are legally required to pass on information to appropriate agencies. For instance, we are allowed to pass on details of anyone suspected of being involved in criminal activity but we will only do this in compliance with the law.
When do we collect your personal data?
The main ways we collect your data are the ones listed below:
- When you visit any of our websites.
- When you make an online purchase and just check out as a guest. In this case we would just collect transaction-based data.
- When you create an account with us.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you contact us by any means such or email with questions or queries.
- When you enter any competitions we may run from time to time.
- When you review our products and services.
- When you’ve given a third party your permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
- When our third party finance supplier shares information with us about the product you have purchased.
What kinds of personal data do we collect?
- If you have an account with us then we will collect some or perhaps all of the following - your name, gender, date of birth, billing/delivery address, orders and receipts, email and telephone number. For security, we’ll also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
- Details of any interactions with us either online or by physical means. We will collect notes from our conversations with you, details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases you made, items viewed or added to your basket, gift card purchases and redemptions, Rider Rewards redemptions, brands you show interest in, web pages you visit and how and when you contact us. Sounds a lot but we want to make sure you shopping experience with us is as good as it possibly can be.
- Details of your visits to our website(s) and how you found our website(s) in the first place.
- Personal details which help us to recommend items of interest. For instance, you may agree to tell us your shoe size in which case we may use that to inform any suggested items we offer you.
- Your comments and product reviews.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
Why do we use your personal data?
We want to give you the best possible customer experience and the personal data we collect about you allows us to do that. If you wish to change how we use your data, then you can find out more about this in the section below entitled “Your rights over your data”. Please note though that if you change or restrict what we can use your data for, we may not be able to provide you with all the services you would like or have asked for.
So why do we do it?
- To process any orders that you place with us - unless we collect your personal data during checkout, we won’t be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations.
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints – we need to keep a record of these to inform any future communication between us and to record how we communicated with you throughout.
- To protect us both from fraud and other illegal activities - this includes using your personal data to monitor your browsing activity with us.
- To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions - this is part of our legitimate interest and helps to protect our customers and our business from fraud.
- To keep you informed about products, discounts and services that are personalised to you - you are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
- To send you communications required by law – these may be necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you.
- To administer any of our prize draws or competitions – you may choose to enter these from time to time.
How do we protect your personal data
Data security matters to everyone, so at Always Riding we treat your data with the greatest of care and as if it were our own personal data. We take appropriate steps to protect it.
Access to all transactional areas of our websites is protected using ‘https’ technology. Access to your personal data is password-protected and / or encrypted as appropriate, and sensitive data is secured by SSL encryption. We have high quality firewalls and whitelisting systems protecting access to our systems and these monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and any attacks.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We’ll only keep your personal data for as long as is necessary having regard for the purpose for which it was collected.
We will keep transactional information for 6 years after the transaction has ended after which we will securely delete your data.
If you have signed up for our newsletter, we will send this to you with your consent. If you have not engaged with us for 3 years we will ask if you still want to hear from us. If you do not respond we will delete or anonymise your data.
Who do we share your personal data with?
Sharing your data with third parties for them to use for Always Riding's purposes:
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties such as with courier companies (like UPS, Royal Mail and DPD) to ensure your orders reach the place where you asked us to deliver them to.
We use a third party to build and send our email newsletters to our subscribers. Their system also allows us to segment subscribers into different groups to provide the information that is most relevant to that group.
However, we apply the following policies with any such third party to keep your data safe:
- We only provide third parties with the information they need to perform their specific services.
- The third party may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in any contract with them.
- The third party will securely delete your data when it is no longer required for the exact purpose.
Companies we work with to provide our service to you.
We do not store any bank details or card details on our systems and use PayPal and Stripe to provide us with payment services.
Sharing your data with third parties for them to use for their own purposes:
We will only do this in very specific circumstances such as:
- For fraud prevention or regulatory compliance which may include sharing data about individuals with law enforcement bodies or Government agencies. We will only do this if we receive a valid request and we will only provide the data in compliance with the law.
- We may, from time to time, expand, reduce or sell Always Riding and this may involve the transfer of parts of the business or the whole business to new owners.
In order to be able to offer you Klarna’s payment options, we will pass to Klarna certain aspects of your personal information, such as contact and order details, in order for Klarna to assess whether you qualify for their payment options and to tailor the payment options for you.
Where your personal data may be processed
Sometimes we will need to transfer your personal data to our third parties and suppliers who reside outside the European Economic Area (EEA), such as the USA, Australia and Japan. The EEA includes all EU Member countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. If you reside outside the EEA we will need to transfer your delivery details to third party processors in countries outside the EEA. This will be required in order to fulfil your order or answer any subsequent queries you may have with regards to that order.
If you have any queries about how your personal data is processed and managed, please contact us at [email protected].
Your rights over your personal data
Your rights to access your data and request corrections / amendments.
You have the right to request:
- Access to information about the personal data we hold about you and a copy of that personal data.
- The correction of your personal data when it is either incorrect or out of date.
- That we stop using your personal data for certain activities, in certain circumstances and that we stop sending you direct marketing in all circumstances.
To ask for a copy of your personal data, please email us at [email protected] and enter the phrase Data Protection Request either in the subject line of the email or as a heading in the body of the email. Alternatively, if you prefer, you may write us at – Always Riding, Bike Republic Ltd, 12 th Floor, 6 New Street Square, London, EC4A 3BF.
To ask for your information to be amended, please either login and update the details in your online account or email us at [email protected] setting your request out clearly. If we choose not to action your request we will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through any or all channels. We will always comply with your request. Please note that regardless of your marketing preferences, if you continue to shop with us, you will continue to receive order acknowledgements, dispatch confirmations and credit memo notifications (where applicable), as legally required.
To stop us using your personal data for direct marketing you can:
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you. We will then stop sending any further marketing emails. Alternatively, if you want to carry on receiving some emails from us but not others, you can access your preference centre at any time from any email we send you and update your preferences.
- If you have an account, login into it, visit the ‘My Account’ area and change your preferences.
- Write to us at Always Riding, Bike Republic Ltd, 12 th Floor, 6 New Street Square, London, EC4A 3BF.
Checking your identity
Contacting the Regulator
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Please do contact us first, and we will do our best to help you.
You can contact the ICO by calling 0303 123 1113 or go online to: ico.org.uk/concerns.
If you are based outside the UK, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection regulator in your country of residence.